Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cream of something soup.....

Hi Folks.....

Just a little something I found on http://onceamonthmom.com/ and find worth sharing with you.  This will save you money and is better for your health. You will never want to buy another can of condensed soup again. I know I won't.

I came across it really unexpectedly, I was searching for apple sauce recipes and this has nothing to do with apple sauce. Sorry I have no pictures.

This is a simple little recipe for making homemade cream of something soup. Think of all those crockpot recipes you can do from now on without putting all the processed ingredients from the can in your recipe.

This will do for 4 kinds of base soup. Mushroom, chicken, celery and asparagus base soup.

2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup of onion finely minced (I do 1/2 my pinky nail)
1/2 cup of one of the main ingredient (mush,chick, cel or aspa) cut up as small as the onions.
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of chicken broth

You can mix both liquids in a measuring cup.
Sauté garlic and onions, add main ingredient, sauté another 2 min. Set aside.
On medium heat, melt butter, add flour and stir to make a roux.
Pour in the mixture of milk and broth little by little always stirring as it thickens.
Keep an eye out on the heat. Once it's nice and thick add sauteed onion and the main ingredient of your choice.
Stir to mix well and lower heat as low as possible to simmer until you get desired thickness.

You can freeze in 1/2 cup portions and get out what you need when you need.

So far, I've made the mushroom and chicken one, both are excellent. I used 1 cup of the mushroom base in my "Jamón en diablado" recipe you will find on my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment