Sunday, June 3, 2012

Général Tofu

I'm not a Tofu person but every now and then a recipe stands out amongts others. This is one of them. It was suggested to me by a friend from work and I've made it on several occasions. When she told me her three boys just loved this, well then anybody will. The reference and link to the French recipe is at the bottom, this is my translation. I've renamed it from the original "Tofu du Général Tao" to Général Tofu.

Sorry, the pictures are not that clear, probably too much steam coming up off the freshly sautéed meal.

8 oz of ferm Tofu, no flavor
* Vegetables of your choice, chopped dice size.
1 egg, beaten
1/2 of corn starch
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of sesame oil
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp of fresh ginger
5 tbsp of water
4 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of vinegar
2 tbsp of soya sauce
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of ketchup
1/4 tsp of chili flakes
Sesame seeds

Cut tofu dice size, sponge them with a paper towel to get out as much water as possible. Dunk in beaten egg to cover well, then in corn starch to cover well also.
Heat up vegetable oil and sauté tofu on high heat, stir often. Set aside.

At this point I sautéed the vegetables I choose in a little more oil, keep them crisp. Set aside with the tofu.

Here, it helps to have your sauce mixes measured and ready to be poured in.
Add sesame oil, sauté, ginger, garlic and green onions, 1 min. Add, water, sugar, vinegar, stir and simmer 1-2 min. Add, soya, oyster, ketchup and chili flakes, simmer another couple of min.

Add vegetables and tofu, stir well to coat with sauce and heat through out.

Serve on rice.

*Last time I did this, I added Cashew nuts which I sauteed at the same time as the vegetables.  


Here is the link to the original recipe.


Enjoy. J. 


No comments:

Post a Comment