Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fumet de poisson. Fish stock.

* Please read update May 20th.

May 19th. Well, it's lobster season still, at least for another couple of weeks. I ate my fresh lobster last week, and this week decided to make Lobster Bisque.
But first things first, Fish Stock. I surfed the net looking for the perfect fish stock recipe and none of them really caught my eye, they sort of all sounded bland.
So I made up my own combining ingredients from a couple of recipes I saw. What I'm getting at is no reference on this one.

Shells, legs, tails, of two 1lb lobsters. (Keep the meat for the bisque) If you like the green and red stuff, put it in, if not, don't.
6 cups of water
2-3 tbsp of butter (yes people, I use butter)
1 bouquet garnie
1 medium carrot
1 medium onion
1 stalk of celery
1/4 cup of white wine (if you want) *
salt and pepper





Bouquet Garnie
1 stalk of celery cut in two equal lenghts.
fresh herbs of your choice, I used
1 bay leaf
small bunch of parsley
small bunch of thym
small bunch of oregano
(all from my herb pots outside)
and a little fennel sprig.


Place herbs inside the two celery pieces and tie all this together with kitchen string. 










Cut up veggies and sauté in butter, do not brown too much, we don't want that burnt butter taste. Salt, pepper. Déglacé with the wine, stir well. Let reduce a little bit. Add all lobster shells you have and bouquet garnie. Here I should have used a bigger pot, but I didn't change pots because I would have lost all those flavors on the bottom of the first pot.






Add 6 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, spoon off the yucky stuff that always accumulates on top, then put down heat and simmer 30 min, take the cover off for the last 10. Put it all through a strainer, take out big shells making sure all liquids have drained. Then drain a second time with a cheese cloth in the stainer. As you can see in the last picture, before second stain, little lobster thingy's are still floating. You will need minimum 4 cups of this stock to make the bisque. My total quantity seems to be between 4-5 cups.






* While were on the subject of alchool, make sure you have 1/4 cup of brandy available for the bisque and another cup of white wine.
*Update, May 20th. The next day. This fish stock recipe was a great success, this I will do again, but.... I did  make the Lobster Bisque, it is edible, that's all. I will not post the recipe, not worth it. It was nothing creamy like I've eaten in restaurants. I found it was a waste of lobster and good fish stock. I still have some lobster left and will make myself a lobster roll for supper.
Enjoy, the fish stock.
J.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment