Saturday, March 17, 2012

Quinoa and Oatmeal Muffins

I'm eating one as you read this. Really good, moist. Next time I will add fruit or a fruit yogurt. I got this recipe from the following Blog:  http://lukasvolger.com/ , a nice blog specialized in vegetarian dishes.
Of course I adapted it, more from necessity than choice, you'll understand why. Makes exactly 12 muffins + 1 tsp of dough to taste raw - really good.

So......Oven 375F.

4 tbsp of butter
1 cup left over cooked Quinoa
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda - not powder
salt
1 cup rolled oats*
1 1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

If you need to cook some Quinoa, use 1/4 cup uncooked, this should give about 1 cup cooked. Let it cool before making muffins.

Melt butter in a small pot till it becomes a medium caramel color (check bowl on right in picture), (I think this is the secret to the whole recipe and also that the raw dough tasts so good) KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS. It must not burn, it would spoil the whole recipe. Pour it into a mixing bowl and let cool.

In another bowl, mix together, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.

When butter has cooled, whisk in yogurt, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
Then fold in the dry ingredients. Try not to over mix because it will become too compact during the cooking process. Then gently fold in the cooked Quinoa.
Spoon into 12 muffins tins lined with paper cups.
Cook 20 min.

Enjoy.
J.

* You're thinking: "Oatmeal.... she didn't put the oatmeal in" . No I didn't. This mix is REALLY REALLY thick and seems clumpy (check picture), I thought if I add oatmeal, I could use it to fill our municipal potholes and send some to Mtl.

Does it take away from taste, texture, cooking time...... none what-so-ever. These muffins are really moist (again see lower picture), not filling and easy to make. This is a keeper. Try flavoured yogurt, I know I will next time.

The raw dough was good, it tasted caramalized butter and sugar, but don't eat too much.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment