Saturday, March 10, 2012

Oven Baked Falafel

I love Falafel. When I arrived in Québec back in 1982, my first job was in a Lebanese restaurant on
St-Jean, this was my first meeting with foreign food, and it's never ended.


Preperation

I've bought different falafel mixes at the grocery store over the years, but it's always been the same thing, add water - mix - and deep fry. You always stay with that deep fried oily taste no matter how much Tahini you pour on top.

A while back, I came across this recipe, Oven Baked Falafel. In this weekends cooking frenzy, I tried it, and this is also a keeper.
Of course I did a couple of things different as you will see below the original posting. *


1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, rinced
1 small onion finely chopped (I used red onion)
2-3 cloves of garlic (I used one)
3 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric (curcuma)
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp flour (I used whole wheat)
2 tbsp feta cheese
salt & pepper

Preheat oven at 375F.
Spray a cooking sheet with PAM.
Put all ingredients into food processor and mix until it forms a paste.
Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet and flatten into cookies. Don't worry, these will not spread like cookies, so 1/2 inch between each is alright.
Cook for 15 min on each side. You will notice that the side touching the pan will brown, turn and cook another 15 min.
* I don't have a very powerful food processor, I almost shot my motor mixing this, it gets really thick.
I had to add 4-5 tbsp of water as I went along, if you do add water, do it one tbsp at a time, it must not get to mushy.
This smelled so good while in the oven, I could especially smell the onion cooking. Serve with Tahini, as in the picture. Or in a sandwich with Taboulé, lettuce and Tzatziki sauce. 
Enjoy. 
J. 


 

did you notice, first pic has 5 patties


No comments:

Post a Comment