Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup

At work, I have lunch at one, so each week I make a pot of soup and have a bowl around 11:30 to keep the wolf from the door as my grandmother used to say. Believe it or not I cannot make a plain old vegetable soup, one of my failures.
Olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 onion, sliced or diced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 cups of carrots, chopped
2 cups of butternut squash, fixed and chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
6-8 cups of water or chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh coriander
1/2 cup 35% cream (original recipe)
1 can green lentils, drained and rinced
Salt & Pepper.

Heat olive oil, sauté onion, garlic, and spices, then add all veggies, stir and let rest 2-3 min stirring now and then. Add enough water or stock to cover the veggies. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer until veggies are cooked.
Once this is done, let cool and purée until smooth. Nobody has a blender this big, so do 2-3 takes.  Stir in by hand, cream, fresh herbs and lentils. You might want to pulse the blender once or twice.

* I did not use cream, never do. I ommited the celery unvoluntarily. I use small red lentils about 1/3 cup, so I added them to the soup for the last 10 min of cooking, also the herbs. I switched the sweet potato for some Jerusalem Artichokes I had lying around, ugly critters.

Enjoy. J.
This comes from Canadian House & Home magazine, September 2011.  







No comments:

Post a Comment