Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Yogurt

Update, March 3rd.
I had company at home this week so I did not cook at all. I didn't touch this homemade yogurt until about 30 min ago. This is the best stuff ever......
I thought that after sitting in the fridge for a week, it would have gone back to being watery and liquidy.... HA! no way, it was perfect, exactly like after I had drained it last Sunday. I did this recipe a second time with Bio milk, I would say the finished product was a bit less watery, but all in all I got the same results, so I guess Bio or not is each ones choice.

I can't believe I succeeded this, I am so happy. If you are like me and are a big yogurt fan, you realize that the cost of store bought yogurt goes up fast.
I don't buy fruit yogurt, I use plain and add fruit, I make my own salad dressing with yogurt, no store bought dressing. I make my own Tzatziki with drained yogurt. I don't (rarelly) buy sour cream, I use yogurt for..... etc etc....
You don't even need that special thing-a-majig to make yogurt in. Just a clay pot big enough to hold 8-9 cups of liquid (if possible) with cover .
In all, this cost me 3.55$ for a 2lt of 3.25% milk. Ah! Ha!
This recipe was taken from the journal La Presse of February 25, 2012.

8 cups of 3.25% (whole milk) Bio milk
2 tbsp of plain Bio yogurt

Put milk in a pot big enough and bring to a simmer for 30-40 min. Keep a CLOSE EYE on this stirring often, every 2-3 min. DO NOT LET BOIL, you know how fast milk overboils and curdles.

I MEAN STAY THERE AND WATCH IT.
Look at the texture
So, once it has simmered, let it cool uncovered to room temperature or 36C.
Take about 1/2 a cup of the milk and mix it with the 2 tbsp of plain yogurt.
Add this to the rest of the milk, stirring slowly. Stir well.
Cover and place in a cold oven with the door closed and the light on for 6-8 hours or all night.
That's all. See my notes below.

I used non-bio milk, non-bio yogurt. Next time I will try the real thing to see if there is a difference. You can tell it's a nice texture. It's a bit watery, I can't say where that comes from. A 2 lt milk carton gives just about 1/2 cup more than 8 cups, I used it all, maybe that is why it's a bit watery. I let it drip through a cloth for 24 hours in the fridge. Perfection. If you like this and make it again, just use 2tbsp of this yogurt to do another pot. I truly think the clay pot makes a difference, this is my crockpot center. I have to admit, I haven't tasted it yet.

May 30th update. I've never bought a store yougurt since. I use this for everything. I don't even drain it anymore. This is great stuff and is still very good after a week or two.

Enjoy. J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment