Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spicy Asian Chicken with Brussel Sprouts

As I might have mentioned before, I follow several food blogs, and this Monday evening I was coming home on the bus and wondering what will I make for supper, I was doing the decount of my fridge in my mind as we were reaching my destination.... I must have looked crazy with my head bobbing as I went through my fridge list. 
Once I got to my emails, this recipe from http://ellysaysopa.com/ was posted, I sort of had all the ingredients and definetly had to get rid of my brussel sprouts. Of course I brought some of my own changes to the recipe.
So here goes....

1 chicken breast
4 tsp. canola oil, divided
1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, halved
1″ knob of ginger, peeled and grated/minced
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 a green or yellow or red or orange pepper chopped.
3 tbsp. low-sodium soya sauce
3 tbsp. rice vinegar
1.5 tbsp. light brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced, or Sambal Oelek (chili paste to your preference (I used 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. pecans 
Coriander for garnish.
Cooked brown rice (made from 1 cup, dry) for serving

In a small bowl, mix soya sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and water. Set aside.
Cook rice, or heat leftover rice. (I guess you could do this last in the microwave)
Debone, deskin (if necessary) and cut chicken breast in bite size pieces. Sauté in 2 tbst oil, set aside.
Add 2tbsp of oil, sauté brussel sprouts, ginger, pecans and peppers on med-low heat. Shake pan often to get brown on all sides 3-4 min. Add garlic and chili paste, 1 min.
Add pre-cooked chicken and sauce mix, stir well. Let simmer 4-5 min, it should thicken a little.

Serve rice up in plates and put a heaping spoonful of chicken, brussel sprouts on each plate. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame oil, sliced green onions and coriander.

* I had precooked chicken, worked very well. The original recipe calls for peanuts, I used pecans. I added the pepper and coriander for color. I had leftover bulgur instead of rice. I forgot to put the sesame and green onions for garnish at the end.

Enjoy. J.



No comments:

Post a Comment