Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cream of Fennel

I usually make myself a pot of soup each week. This week my choice was fennel and I chose a recipe from http://www.ricardocuisine.com/ one of my favorite sites.

1 large fennel bulb, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
1/2 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of rice
1 tbsp of butter & 1 tbsp of oil
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine

Garnish
Sour cream or plain yogurt.
Smoked salmon

Cut fennel into big chuncks, onions also. Melt butter, add oil in a pot big enough to hold all your ingredients. Add onions, garlic, sauté stiring for about 3 min. Add fennel, stir, another 3 min. Add rice, wine and let reduce to about half. Add broth, bring to a boil then lower heat so that it simmers for 20 min. Let soup cool for about 20 min. unless you are serving right away. Put soup through the blender until creamy.
If you want you may garnish with a dab of sour cream or yogurt and a roll of smoked salmon.
I already had a mixture of plain yogurt, lemon juice and dill in the fridge, something I will be using for another recipe. I also had some homemade broth left.


No comments:

Post a Comment