Saturday, December 10, 2011

Herbes de Provence and Pepper Bread Rolls

Hi,

I don't cook BECAUSE it's Christmas, or Easter or some other holiday, I just cook. Period.

But last week, http://www.cooklikeachampionblog.com/ posted these Rosemary and Pepper Dinner Rolls I just had to try. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course I made slight changes, and I had to taste them before posting. This was a success. Once these are nice and cool, I will freeze them and get them out for Xmas diner. 



 












1 envelope of yeast
1 cup of warm water
3 1/4 cups flour
1 egg
2 tbsp of Canola oil
3 tbsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper
2 tsp of Herbes de Provences
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of melted butter

Preheat oven to 350F.
Put warm water in a big bowl, sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 10 min. When this is done, add egg, oil, sugar and pepper and herbes, stir gently. Add flour, stir to mix all and scrap sides to get all flour in. *(At this point, a nice ball forms, I took it out and kneaded 1 min)  Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rest 20 min. (Again, take out of bowl, it won't be double in size but will have puffed up a bit) Sprinkle some salt on top, knead once - twice, sprinkle rest of salt, knead for 2-3 min.
Transfer dough to a slightly oiled bowl, cover with damp towel and set in warm place for 1 - 1.5 hour. This time it will double in size and be nice and elastic like.
Once this is done, turn onto a slightly floured surface and cut dough in half, cut each half into as many golf ball size pieces as you can. Place them in a greased baking pan, (I used three cake pans) Keep a space of at least 1cm between each ball as you place them in the pan. You may wrap them well and freeze them at this point.
If you are cooking them right away, like I did, brush tops with half melted butter. Place for 20 to 30 minutes in middle rack of oven. Mine were done in 22 min.
When cooked brush with rest of butter and serve. Enjoy. J.



* At this point I found the ball of dough was heavy and I thought this will never work, but I continued.

If you want a trick for it to rise; when you're ready to let it rise place it in a cold oven with a cup of warm water beside, and wait the necessary time.
This recipe was recommended to be done with a stand mixer with a dough hook. I did everything by hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment