Thursday, November 10, 2011

Basil and Lemon Ice Cream Sandwich

I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself to have succeeded this recipe. It is long to make, and unfortunately I skipped a step, but all in all, I get 98%.
 
This is a good recipe to make the day before.
* my notes
So, here goes.

Basil and Lemon Ice Cream Sandwich

3 eggs, yolks and whites seperated
95 gr* of sugar
Zest and juice of one lemon
100 ml of basil syrup
135 ml of 35% cream
1/2 a sheet of gelatine, or 1 tsp of gelatine powder
50gr basil leaves
90 ml of water
70 gr of sugar
2 tsp of glucose (you can use honey instead, or up the sugar by 1 gram)
Shortbread cookies of your choice.

Use whatever dish you want as long as it is not round, unless you have round cookies..... hmmm not sure. Try it and let me know. Line the dish with saran wrap, have this ready ahead of time.

1. For the basil syrup

Heat to a slight boil, 90 ml of water, 70 gr of sugar and glucose* stirring until sugar disolves.
Place in fridge for one hour.
In a food chopper, place basil leaves and cooled off syrup, purée until basil leaves are completly puréed. Let rest a minute or two and give it another spine. Strain the puréé with a fine stainer and /or cheese cloth to get all the syrup possible. Discard basil leaves.

2. Next step, while the basil syrup is dripping through the cheese cloth.

If you are using a gelatine sheet, rehydrate it in cold water, then heat up about 2-3 tbsp of cream VERY LOW and add the gelatine to disolve it. If using gelatine powder just put it directly in the warm cream to disolve. (I used powder)
You can do the next step by hand, lazy me didn't. I just put one wand on the beater instead of two.

Whip up the eggs yolks adding 60 gr of sugar until they are cream color. Add the lemon zest and juice, mix well. Add disolved gelatine and 100 ml of basil syrup. If you have less than 100 ml, put it all, if you have more than 100ml, just put what is asked for. Set aside.
3. Whip the rest of the 35% cream, don't add any sugar. Whip it to the point of soft but firm peaks. Set aside. Whip the egg white adding 35gr of sugar, be patient, this takes several minutes. Whip it nice and firm.

Almost done......

In the yolk preparation, gently fold in the whipped egg whites, then do the same with the whipped cream. Pour this mixture into the dish you lined with saran wrap, cover with another sheet of plastic and place in freezer for 6 hours. Try to forget about it until the next day. This is the part I skipped, DO IT. This morning, I realize how important it is.
So, now, last part....... here is where you have to work fast and have your cookies ready. This melts fast.

The next day, just lift plastic sheets with the ice cream out of the dish.
Place cookies all over top of icecream, put back plastic sheet, flip, and place more cookies in the same format on other side.
Cut to cookie size as you can see in my pictures.
PUT BACK in freezer until ready to serve.

That's it, how simple was that!

*** I did not use glucose. I only used the juice of 1/2 lemon and found it was enough. I had bought two packs of fresh basil, total 28 gr, that was enough also. The ingredients are measured in grams, I have a digital kitchen scale at home, so it was easy to weight, sorry I don't have the ml measurments. I unfortunaely forgot to place the cream for the minimum 6 hours in the freezer, I placed my cookies on the bottom of the dish and poured the cream directly on top, then topped with other cookies and then placed it in the freezer. This caused the bottom cookie to become all soggy, and cookies were not placed "vis-à-vis" the top.
I bought lemon and poppy seed short bread cookies, delicious, but the cookies were too small and too thin. 2 x 1 inch. I think you can buy a short bread cookies the size of the ice cream sandwich.  In the original recipe, the chef makes his own shortbread cookies, I find this too tedious. 
I think that's it. Now I am having all kind of thoughts of what other kind of combination I could do, chocolat mint for one, coffee, chocolat, ouzo. Oh! chocolat peanut butter..... oufff too heavy.

Enjoy. J.




As promised, here is the reference for this recipe, of course I did some changes, but then " Give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar", in this case Christian Lemelin, chef at the Restaurant SSS who freely posts his recipes on the following link.  You will see in video media how he creates the ice cream sandwiches.




No comments:

Post a Comment