Saturday, November 19, 2011

Coffee syrup & Coffee Ice Cream

Remember the Basil and Lemon ice cream I made last week? Well I've been looking for other combinations and thought of Coffee ice cream and chocolat cookies. I had to figure out a way to make coffee syrup. I did a search on the net and found the following recipe. Excited as I was, I forgot to note on which web site I found it. I adapted it for my needs. 
This was also a success, but the Basil & Lemon are more of a surprise to the taste buds.

Coffee syrup and Coffee Ice Cream

1/2 cup ground coffee, NOT INSTANT.
2 cups boiling water.
3 paper one serving coffee filters.

Put 2 heaping tbsp of ground coffee in the filter, pour 2 cups of boiling water over and let drip through into a big enough container.

In a new filter place, 2 other heaping tbsp of ground coffee , pour the coffee (liquid) you got from the first dripping over the new grains of ground coffee, let drip a second time.

Another new filter, 2 more heaping tbsp of ground coffee, pour coffee liquid from the second dripping over the third filter.

Let cool.

To make the syrup. Measure the coffee liquid you obtained from the three drippings. Place in a small pot on medium heat, add sugar = to half the measurement of liquid, two for one if you prefer. Slowly bring to a boil and simmer about 10-12 min, stirring to disolve the sugar. Let cool and place in the fridge for minimum 1 hour before use. It will thicken and become syrupy.

You will need 100 ml of this syrup to make the coffee ice cream. Freeze the rest in ice trays for another use.
To make the ice cream, follow the same instructions as the Basil & Lemon ice cream OMITTING the basil, lemon juice and rind, pour in 100 ml of coffee syrup instead. This time I beat the cream and egg white firmer than the first time. Serve these between chocolat cookies, the same kind of cookies as the ice cream sandwhiches sold in stores. I didn't find any at the grocery, so I made my own.

I suggest you don't give this ice cream to children, it is full of cafeine. The coffee is 3 times stronger than a single cup, but it can be done with decafinated coffee. If you do give it to kids, be prepared to spend the night playing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment