Monday, October 17, 2011

Salmon Tartar marinated in a lime mayonaise


I've never succeded a homemade mayonaise until last Friday. In the spirit of the 5 à 7 and I who loves salmon tartar, I addapted this recipe from À la Distasio.

10 to 12oz (300 - 360 gr) of fresh salmon*

Lime mayonaise:
1 egg yolk
2 tsp of Dijon mustard*
Zest of one lime
1 tbsp of lime juice
4-5 tbsp of olive oil*
A squirt of Tabasco*
1 tbsp of fresh chives
Salt & Pepper

Beat* together until pale: yolk, mustard, lime juice and zest and a pinch of salt.
Keep beating as you add the olive oil very slowly.
Once the mayo has doubled in quantity add the squirt of Tabasco and chives, pepper.

Refrigerate until ready to make tartar.

For tartar, cut salmon in strips of about 1/4 inch wide, then cut strips in small cubes.
Mix with mayonaise. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving. Do not get out more than 15 min before service.

* Try buying salmon without skin, then you won't have to remove it.
I used grainy mustard, not Dijon and only one tsp.
I put just 3-4 tbsp of olive oil.
I use Sambal Oelek instead of Tabasco
To beat I used an electrical beater but only one whisk on the beater.

This is strong in lime taste, you might want to adjust, or try lemon.

Enjoy. J.

No comments:

Post a Comment