Saturday, October 22, 2011

Béchamel versu White Sauce

Some of you might already know this, but I discovered something new this morning, white sauce and Béchamel are two different things. I feel stupid.

White Sauce is the basic 1 / 1 / 1 measure of flour, butter and milk.

But béchamel, although using the same measures of the same ingredients has something extra.
I have been making béchamel all my life without knowing it.




Béchamel

Take the measurment of milk you desire, I suggest not under a cup, put it in a small pot, add 1 bay leaf, 4-5 whole pepper corns, 1/2 an onion cut in two, a pinch of mace or nutmeg.
Keep you fire on low, bring just to a simmer or very slight boil. You have to keep an eye on this, sometimes it goes fast.
Once the slight boil is reached, remove from heat and let steep for 20 to 30 min. Strain after.

This is with what you will make your white sauce, which is now a béchamel sauce.

I intend to make a cream of cauliflower with this, I will let you know how it turns out.

J.

This comes from the site BBC Food Recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment