Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pizza Crust (no yeast)

I cooked this dough directly on the BBQ.

2 cups white flour, or half wheat and half white
1 tbsp of baking powder
few grains of salt
2/3 cups milk and fill rest of the cup with Canola oil to reach the 1 cup level. Do not use Olive oil - too heavy.

Mix all ingredients. Flaten out with your hands on a slightly oiled pizza pan.
Garnish with what you want and Cook at 375F for 20 - 25 min.
Lift crust a little to check color underneath.

***
I have been using this mix since the 80s. It makes a bread-like crust that will hold in your hand with all the toppings on it. It will never go limp.
After using this recipe for several years I happened to be going through my grand mothers recipe box and found the same recipe cut out of an old newspaper, it was yellow with age. It went back to the 60s. So its tested and tested over and over again, but I don't remember her ever making pizza.

And if your wondering, from my first picture, yes I laid the dough straight on the BBQ grill for 5 min on one side. My heat was too high, it should have been around 325F, maybe 350F. Keep an eye on it.
Pre cut all your garnishes, cut them smaller than usual.
So, 5 min on one side, then you take it off, place the cooked side up, garnish it and put it back on the BBQ on the uncooked side just long enough to melt the cheese.

Enjoy. J

No comments:

Post a Comment