Saturday, September 24, 2011

Mango Snickerdoodles....

A snickerdoodle is a type of sugar cookie made with butter or oil, sugar, and flour rolled in cinnamon sugar. Eggs may also sometimes be used as an ingredient. Snickerdoodles are characterized by a cracked surface and can be crisp or soft depending on preference. Wikipedia.

What is more comforting than a plate of cookies with a glass of cold milk.


I had never heard of Snickerdoodles until today, I just find the word funny to say, snickerdoodle...snickerdoodle.... snickerdoodle.... lolol.... ok ok enough.
I will first post the original recipe, then my comments and the changes I made at the bottom. Snickerdoodle... just had to say it one more time.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Gives 3-4 dozen 

3¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the coating:½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
Dash of allspice

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk to blend and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the pumpkin puree.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.  Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend.  Scoop the dough (about 2½ tablespoons) and roll into a ball.  Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough to fill the sheets, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart.  Dip the bottom of a flat, heavy-bottomed drinking glass in water, then in the sugar-spice mixture, and use the bottom to flatten the dough balls slightly.  Recoat the bottom of the glass in the sugar-spice mixture as needed.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through.  Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with the remaining dough.  Store in an airtight container.

I got this recipe from Annie's Eats, a blog I follow with lots of enthusiasm.

My comments:

Well I am sitting by the almost now empty plate you see above.
These cookies are easy to make, they come out nice and moist and the recipe does yield 3-4 dozen cookies.
I used purred mango instead, same amount.
I always cut all sugar by 1/2.
I dipped the glass in lemon juice instead of water.
Did not put any allspice, just because I didn't have any.

Like I said, they are nice and moist, BUT, I found these cookies very dull in taste. Maybe it was cutting the sugar by half, maybe it was because of the mango instead of the pumpkin. Seems to me pumpkin is just as bland.
So, I will be making some happy people by giving these away. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but like I said before I do not have a sweet tooth, so I won't miss them.

See you J.
Another day - another recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment