Monday, September 26, 2011

Carrot and beet soup



               
I don't like beets.... but I still have to do something with it. So there is soup bubbling away on the stove as I write this...

The soupe is cooling outside on my balcony. The beets turned a whitish yellow, like turnup, I hope it does not taste like turnup.


Carrot and beet soup

2lb of carrots, minus one carrot 
1 medium onion
1/2 to 3/4 cup of beets
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp of butter
4 cups of stock
1 cup white sauce*
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp of ginger
1/2 tsp of rosemary

Cube onions, peel carrots and cut in 1 inch pieces. Cubes beets.
Melt butter, sauté onions, garlic, carrots and beets.
Add ginger and rosemary.
Add stock and simmer for 30 min, check for donness of veggies.

Let cool at least an  hour and purée in blender.
Add white sauce and stir.

Serve.

As you can see by the picture, this is not your typical beet. Nothing turned red.
Next time I will omit the rosemary, I don't like rosemary, don't know why I use it.
* Please reference a previous post. White sauce is used to thicken a cream of ? soup instead of 35% cream.

I did not take this recipe anywhere, just improvised.

I served it for lunch with an avocado - shrimp - palm  heart salade.


No comments:

Post a Comment